You don’t have to be a French-braiding perfectionist to pull this look off. If you have even a basic idea of how to do French-braid, you’re golden, as a bit of clumsiness makes the look. The messiness of the braid will balance how classy a standard bun is, making for a perfect casual look! Ready for a go? Follow these steps:
- Part your hair on the side.
- Start French braiding using large sections of hair and following the natural curve of your face until you reach your ear.
- Finish the hair remaining in the French braid in a regular braid and secure.
- Gather the rest of your hair into a ponytail and secure.
- Wrap the ponytail around its base and secure with a hair tie.
- Pin any extra-unruly pieces as you see fit.
2. Braided Top Knot
Everyone’s go-to undone hairstyle gets a cute upgrade without a ton of effort. Just add a braid and you’re good to go! This style can be casual but also works well for semi-formal occasions, including a day at work or a meeting with a professor. Directions are as follows:
- Pull your hair into a ponytail (using your hands for an easy, tousled look or a brush for a more polished finish).
- Swirl the ponytail around its base, leaving a 1- to 2-inch section out at the bottom for the braid.
- Pin the bun where necessary to keep in place. Braid the remaining hair and secure with a clear elastic.
- Wrap the braid around the bun and tuck the end underneath the bun.
- Pin to secure.
3. Loosely Braided High Bun
Running late to your morning lecture? No problem. All you need is two minutes and your hair will stay stylishly out of your face for the rest of the day. This easy-peasy look is ideal for anything from a full day of classes to a night in with friends. Just follow these steps and you'll be set!
- Using large sections of hair, loosely braid your hair from the front of your head towards the crown.
- Pull the rest of your hair up in a ponytail to meet the end of the braid and secure with a hair tie.
- Wrap the ponytail around its base and secure with a hair tie or pins.
4. Half Bun with a Twist
The half bun is currently taking the world by storm, but this upgraded style puts an even chicer spin on the trendiest hairstyle of 2015. A messy, beachy look is perfect for any lazy Sunday, while curling your ends can convey a more formal vibe. Either way, begin with these three steps:
- Pull all of the hair above your ears to the back and secure in a half ponytail.
- Split the ponytail into two sections and twist them around each other, securing with a clear elastic at the end.
- Wrap the twisted ponytail around the base and secure with pins.
5. Inverted Braided Topknot
This style might take a little more effort, but it’s totally worth it. It looks like a basic topknot from the front, but turn your head, and suddenly you're giving everybody a major does of hair envy. A messy version will lighten up any dreary library study sesh, while a more polished bun can stand out at a meeting or during date night! No matter what you choose, these instructions will lead you to success:
Original article and pictures take http://www.hercampus.com/beauty/5-braided-buns-add-your-hairgoals-pinterest-board site