HOW AN APPLE GROWS: APPLE SCIENCE
- apples, green and red (whatever varieties you enjoy!)
- tray for sorting the different pieces of the apple (party store divider snack tray)
- apple cutter or knife (make sure to supervise and keep safety number one!)
- bowl of water to test sink and float (optional side activity)
- books on how apples grow
- magnifying glass
ACTIVITY SET UP
WILL IT SINK OR FLOAT?
We decided to start with this simple apple science activity before we cut up the apples. However, we also finished with this as well by testing every piece of the apple in the bowl of water. I love sink or float for easy preschool science because it gives him the opportunity to make predictions and talk about why he thinks something will sink or float. Of course apples are quite intriguing for a sink and float activity. He is amazed that apples have air in them causing them to be less dense than water and thus float. Why not give it a try!
APPLE SCIENCE: EXAMINING AND IDENTIFYING PARTS OF AN APPLE
He loved using his mighty strength to cut through the apple and it’s great for practical life skills as well. By using the apple slicer, we were able to take apart the apple for more careful observation of the different parts. Of course, a magnifying glass is a staple for most of our experiments. Lastly, tasting is a very important part! This hands-on apple science activity explored all 5 of the senses too!
- SEE the colors of the apples, the skin, the flesh, the seeds and the stem
- HEAR the crunch of the apple when taking a bite or the sound the slicer made to cut through the apple
- TASTE the apple and it’s juice
- SMELL the sweetness of the apple
- FEEL all the different parts of the apple: smooth, sticky, wet, hard
Take a look at the parts of the apple! We sorted them into each section to take a better look at each part.
I chose a few books from our local library to read during our hands-on apple science activity. I love pairing books with hands- on activities as often as possible. There is always much to learn and these books offered some interesting concepts that I had forgotten about! We all learned a little something!
What a wonderfully simple playful preschool apple science activity! Quick and easy but filled with lots of room to explore, discover, learn and play. Grab a few extra apples at the store or visit a local orchard and give this simple apple science activity a try at home this fall!
EASY FALL APPLE SCIENCE FOR KIDS!
MORE FALL APPLE PLAY. Click on photos.
Original article and pictures take http://littlebinsforlittlehands.com/apple-science-activity-apple-grows/ site