Lightsaber STEM Activities
Your padawans can begin lightsaber training with these playful & educational activities.
- May the Force Be With You with these lightsaber circuit cards. (Left Brain Craft Brain)
- Build a lightsaber that really works with one trip to the dollar store. (Lemon Lime Adventures)
- Do some awesome hands-on lightsaber math. (Carrots are Orange)
- Pull out your lightsaber (or flashlight) for some shadow fun & learning with these Star Wars shadow puppets. (Childhood 101)
Star Wars Building Activities
Building & Star Wars seem to go hand-in-hand these days, so here are a few new things to try. Kids can build spacecraft, droids and more with these fun invitations to play and learn.
- Build a play dough BB-8 droid. (coming soon from Left Brain Craft Brain)
- Craft an X-wing Fighter from office supplies (Frugal Fun 4 Boys)
- Make some Millenium Falcon Origami (Deagostini Model Space)
- LEGO is one of the best ways to build Star Wars. I love this open-ended Star Wars building game. (Sunshine and Hurricanes)
- Make some upcycled droids (All for the Boys) or craft a Perler bead R2-D2 (Brain Power Boy).
Star Wars Math Activities
One stormtrooper, two storm troopers, three stormtroopers… From basics to more advanced, there’s a Star Wars math project for every padawan.
- There definitely aren’t enough Princess Leia activities available out there. But here’s a fun Princess Leia color by number. (Coloring Squared)
- Use geometry to learn how to draw R2D2. (Andertoons)
- This Yoda shape craft (Toddler Approved) and this Chewbacca shape craft (JDaniel4’s Mom) help the littles work on their geometry.
- Pop culture hero math has some fun pictorials using Star Wars characters. What does Leia + Jabba the Hut equal? (My Modern Met)
- Learn about symmetry with these amazing Star Wars snowflakes. There’s even a new Force Awakens set! (Anthony Herrera)
Star Wars Science & Sensory Play
There are so many cool projects out there that combine the three S’s: Star Wars, Science & Sensory play. Kids can learn about states of matter, non-Newtonian fluids and more all while playing with their favorite characters.
- Glow in the Dark lightsaber slime (Little Bins for Little Hands)
- Use science to make your own Star Wars landscapes (Planet Smarty).
- Recreate the pivotal Darth Vader lava scene with this awesome Star Wars lava slime. (Fun-a-Day)
- Yoda’s Swamp Bubbling Slime World (Epic Fun for Kids)
- Rescue Han Solo from carbonite using a cool science experiment. (Fun-a-Day)
- Star Wars Galaxy Oobleck (Nerdy Mamma)
Star Wars Technology Activities
Technology plays a big role in the story lines and the creation of the Star Wars movies. Here are a few ways to explore tech with these characters.
- Disney and the team behind The Force Awakens have partnered with Code.org to create an easy introduction to coding for kids. Try it for Hour of Code: Star Wars.
- Introduce the world of soft circuits to your kids with this light up Jawa doll. (Bitter Betty)
- The new Sphero BB-8 robot is definitely some of the coolest Star Wars learning tech right now. But they’re hard to find and harder to afford, so how about watching a silly video of kittens playing with the droid instead :)
Star Wars STEM Gifts
No time for DIY? These are a few of my favorite educational gifts for young Star Wars STEMists.